Training Contracts at monarch Solicitors
Monarch Solicitors provide a wide range of multi-disciplinary legal services to the business community. This means that the firms’ Trainee Solicitors enjoy an exciting and dynamic career with a firm that understands and values the benefits of having well trained and experienced solicitors on board.
The firm’s Training Contract is structured to enable Trainee Solicitors to undertake work in a variety of practice areas of the firm. Trainees are allocated a supervising fee earner and are supervised daily to aid development to full potential. Regular appraisal meetings are conducted to review progress throughout the Training Contract and the firm will challenge, support and encourage Trainee Solicitors to be the best that they can possibly be.
Responsibility is given early and often to aid with development and enhancement of skills both in the law and in business. Monarch Solicitors Trainee Solicitors are valuable members of staff. As legal professionals they are treated as such. They use their initiative, get involved and aim to deliver work of the highest possible standards using experience gained combined with academic learning.
Eligibility for a Training Contract
Excellent academics are essential but the firm recruits from both legal and non-legal backgrounds. Applications from graduates in any discipline and from candidates considering a change of career are welcomed.
However, it is the current policy of Monarch Solicitors to first and foremost provide progression to our Legal Assistants / Paralegals by way of offering Training Contracts.
As a precursor to the offer of a Training Contract, all prospective candidates will be required to undertake a work placement as a fixed term Legal Assistant / Paralegal for 12 months.
All Training Contract applicants will be required to meet the following criteria:
- At least 1 year of proven commitment to the firm and demonstrable achievements with the firm.
- A commitment to developing a career in Manchester.
- A 2:1 degree in any subject. Alternative grades will be accepted with relevant previous experience.
- Essential characteristics will include the ability to demonstrate a loyal and confident personality with excellent communication skills, a desire to contribute and be an active part of the firm and the capacity to work under pressure and in furthering the interests of the firm.
Applying for a Training Contract
- Applications for training contracts will be accepted on Monarch Solicitors application form after completion of a one-year work placement and training contracts will be offered to successful candidates in the following 12 months, or completion of the LPC (or equivalent), whichever is the later.
- Candidates will be considered for placements after the completing their degree course however a final decision with regard to the offer of a training contract may not be taken until their completion of the LPC (or equivalent for BPTC candidates).
- Each Legal Assistant / Paralegal will be monitored throughout their placement, where they will be required to do some fee earning work, secretarial work and/or marketing work and will include routine assessments.
- At the end of the placement, students will be invited to deliver a presentation and undertake a formal interview following which a decision will be made as to whether to offer a Training Contract.
- The recruitment procedure will include interviewing; taking up references, the undertaking of a client scenario, presentation, and some form of networking opportunity (for instance lunch with Partners and Associate Solicitors). If required psychometric, numeric and literacy testing may be added to this selection criteria.
- Places will be offered taking into account Monarch Solicitors:
- Immediate and specific requirements
- Future areas of growth
- Succession planning
This policy is correct at the time of being published (Sept 2018) and is subject to change from time.
Call us for more Information
Awards and Accolades
Solicitors you can trust
Client satisfaction is paramount to use so we appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually improve the service we provide