Manchester & London Solicitors


Landlord & Tenant Disputes

Rent Arrears

Rent Arrear Solicitors in Manchester and London

If a tenant falls behind with their rent, you’ll be able to claim under the terms of your tenancy agreement for money owed to you using the small claims procedure of the County Court (also known as a ‘money judgement’).

It is exactly what it sounds like a court order which forces a debtor to repay any money they owe a creditor.

You can apply for a money judgement so long as you can prove that your tenant owes you money.

Contact our Litigation Solicitors:

If you would like to enquire for any matters regarding rent arrears please complete our online contact form here or send an email to us at [email protected] and one of our solicitors shall call you back.

Alternatively, please call our litigation solicitors in Manchester on 0330 127 8888 for a no obligation discussion.

Contact Us Today

Accredited by
Monarch Solicitors Brand Stripes


Most frequent questions and answers

If you know where they are and they are not on income-based benefit, you can ensure a solicitor’s letter formally demanding the outstanding rent is sent to tenant.

Yes, by issuing a Section 8 notice to quit. A section 8 notice is served on the tenant by a landlord wishing to regain possession of a property during the fixed term of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). The landlord cannot evict the tenant without first obtaining an order for possession from a court. Before applying to the court for such an order, the landlord must serve a Section 8 notice to quit on the tenant. The notice states that the landlord intends to seek possession of the property and states the ground or grounds on which possession is sought. The notice must be laid out in a prescribed format and must specify which grounds the landlord intends to use to gain possession and the landlord’s reasons for relying on those particular grounds. Any error made when issuing the section 8 notice is likely to delay the landlord gaining possession.

If you do not want to evict your tenant, an alternative may be to issue a claim for the arrears in the County Court. If your claim is successful, the Court will order that the tenant repays the arrears. A County Court Judgment will affect a tenant’s credit rating and could affect their ability to obtain a tenancy with a new landlord, so the tenant is likely to want to try to avoid this if possible. If your tenant still does not pay the amount that is ordered by the Court, there are a number of options open to you to enforce that judgment.

Solicitors you can trust

Client satisfaction is paramount to use so we appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually improve the service we provide 

Austin Kemp
Austin Kemp
Read More
"Monarch Solicitors provide exceptional, skilled attorney who handles client's cases with compassion and understanding. I recommend her highly!"
Peter Istrate
Peter Istrate
Moxels Digital Agency
Read More
"Shazda, not just that advised me for the best solution but she went beyond in advising for future needs that we may be having at our creative agency, so much that we decided to work with them exclusively. I highly recommend!"
Katie Sharp
Katie Sharp
Read More
"Used Monarch for a freehold Purchase. Excellent service was kept informed of the process. Always willing to have a chat if needed. Thanks in particular to Nasira for her help would definitely recommend"
Monarch Solicitors Google Reviews

Contact Us

If you need legal advice, call our expert solicitors or fill in our enquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Request a call back

Please provide us with your details and we will call you back.