Training Contracts at monarch Solicitors
Trainee Solicitor – Training Contracts in Manchester at Monarch Solicitors
Monarch Solicitors are an award-winning commercial law firm advising clients nationally and internationally. We specialise in commercial litigation, mergers and acquisitions, fintech, investment, real estate, tax investigations and immigration.
We are recognised as leaders in our field of law as we have been involved in major high-profile cases and received praise for our enviable success record and excellent client services. Our trusted legal advisors provide bespoke advice to individuals and businesses, protecting their bottom line.
With a wealth of experience and a proficient, multi-linguistic team our clients get the best possible service and expert management of cross jurisdictional issues. We have a Chinese desk that specialises in helping Mandarin/Cantonese speaking clients do business in the UK.
This means that the firms’ Trainee Solicitors enjoy an exciting and dynamic career with a firm that understands and values the benefits of having well trained and experienced solicitors on board.
We offer training contracts in our Manchester head office.
As a trainee at Monarch Solicitors in Manchester, you will undertake seats in at least three practice areas ranging from:
Our trainees need to gain contentious experience during their Training Contract, which they do in our litigation department in Manchester.
You will therefore gain wide exposure to our business which will allow you to determine which area you would like to qualify into as an England and Wales qualified solicitor.
Whilst your experience on each seat will be very different, in all of them you will develop your legal and business skills, gain insight into our high profile clients and enhance your commercial awareness. The tasks you undertake could include: drafting and proofing documents, conducting due diligence, attending client meetings, preparing documents for a court hearing, researching titles and leases on a real estate transactions. You may even run some smaller transactions for our clients.
Underpinning this exposure to the best work available, you will receive learning and development support from the firms Training Principle whilst learning from practical day-to-day experiences.
Monarch Solicitors are committed to investing in our people and this is reflected in our two year training contract in Manchester. Our future trainees are made to feel part of the Monarch Solicitors team from the moment of offer, right through to qualification and beyond.
You will have quarterly review meetings to discuss your progress and decide which practice group you’ll be joining next. The two years will soon pass and you’ll be discussing your qualification with our Training Principal before you know it!
Experience and Skills
Ideally you will have at least 18 months prior legal experience to apply to us. We expect our trainees to be problem-solvers with strong communication skills and commercial acumen. The competencies that we look for in our trainees include:
- Business awareness
- Leading and managing
- Problem solving with commercial insight
- Relationship building and networking
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to identify legal vs business issues
Our Training Contract is open to Law graduates with the LPC or BPTC. If you have not studied a qualifying Law degree (as specified by the SRA) then you will need to have completed a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL).
Eligibility for a Training Contract
Excellent academics are essential but the firm recruits from both legal and non-legal backgrounds. Applications from graduates in any discipline and from candidates considering a change of career are welcomed.
However, it is the current policy of Monarch Solicitors to first and foremost provide career progression to our current Legal Assistants / Paralegals by way of offering Training Contracts.
As a precursor to the offer of a Training Contract, all prospective candidates will be required to undertake a work placement as a Legal Assistant / Paralegal for 18 months.
All Training Contract applicants will be required to meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 months year of proven commitment to the firm and demonstrable achievements with the firm.
- A commitment to developing a long term career in Manchester.
- A 2:1 degree in any subject. Alternative grades will be accepted with relevant previous experience.
- Essential characteristics will include the ability to demonstrate a loyal and confident personality with integrity, excellent communication skills, a desire to contribute and be an active part of the firm and the capacity to work under pressure and in furthering the interests of the firm.
Applying for a Training Contract
- Applications for training contracts will be accepted on Monarch Solicitors application form after completion of a at least 18 months work placement and training contracts will be offered to successful candidates in the following 12-24 months, or completion of the LPC (or equivalent), whichever is the later.
- Candidates will be considered for placements after the completing their degree course however a final decision with regard to the offer of a training contract may not be taken until their completion of the LPC (or equivalent for BPTC candidates).
- Each Legal Assistant / Paralegal will be monitored throughout their placement, where they will be required to do some fee earning work, administration work and/or marketing work and will include routine assessments.
- At the end of the placement, students will be invited to deliver a presentation and undertake a formal interview following which a decision will be made as to whether to offer a Training Contract.
- The recruitment procedure will include interviewing; taking up references, the undertaking of a client scenario, presentation, and some form of networking opportunity (for instance lunch with Partners and Associate Solicitors). If required psychometric, numeric and literacy testing may be added to this selection criteria.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a Stage 1 assessment centre and a 15 minute presentation at Stage 2.
Places will be offered taking into account Monarch Solicitors:
- Immediate and specific requirements
- Future areas of growth
- Succession planning
This policy is correct at the time of being published (Sept 2018) and is subject to change from time.
Call us for more Information
Awards and Accolades
Solicitors you can trust
Client satisfaction is paramount to use so we appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually improve the service we provide