Manchester & London Solicitors


Freehold Purchase (Houses) – Top 10 Facts

Freehold Purchase – Top 10 Facts for individual house owners.

Manchester, London, UK Wide, Lease Enfranchisement.

Historically the word “enfranchisement” meant “liberation from imprisonment or slavery” in relation to people.

Used in the modern-day context of property ownership, “enfranchisement” refers to the release from control by the freeholder.

Owning a leasehold refers to renting property for a limited period of time, for a specified rent, and on terms contained in the lease. Like the terms of any contract, if the terms of the lease are breached then there are consequences. However, in contrast, a freehold grants legal ownership and control for an unlimited period of time.

Freeholders, often with minimal investment, have significant potential power over a leaseholder, including ultimately the power of forfeiture (where the entire property is seized).

We have written this guide for leasehold homeowners who have inadvertently become involved in the leasehold housing scandal that has attracted recent attention from the media and from concerned politicians across the country.

We hope you find our TOP 10 FACTS on freehold purchases for homeowners useful.


Any leaseholder, whether or not they qualify for the statutory right to purchase their freehold, can negotiate an open market deal with the landlord.


  • The parties can freely negotiate the terms, the purchase price and other associated costs
  • The process could be quicker as there are no restrictions over timing: it can happen immediately if both parties are willing
  • The leaseholder has the alternative to ‘top-up’ the lease to any term desired for a smaller premium rather than buying the freehold, if they simply want to make the property attractive to potential buyers.
  • The leaseholder doesn’t have to buy any intermediate landlords’ interest


  • The leaseholder is not protected by the statutory safeguards relating to the calculation of the purchase price and any intermediate landlords’ interests
  • Either party can withdraw from the process at any time until the contract is concluded, regardless of whether time and money has already been spent
  • If an agreement cannot be reached on the terms, there is no recourse to the Tribunal without first triggering the statutory process.
  • Generally, the price payable is higher as it is being bought/sold on the open market


Qualifying leaseholders have a legal right under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 to buy their freehold and any intermediate leases.


  • A statutory timetable must be followed, but it provides the leaseholder time to arrange the funds for the purchase.
  • Statutory safeguards which compel the landlord to sell the freehold, govern the purchase price payable, and limit the costs the landlord is entitled to recover.
  • If an agreement cannot be reached there is recourse to the Tribunal for an independent determination.


  • From the service of the Tenant’s Notice, the process can take 6-9 months.
  • Both parties are locked into the process: freeholder/leaseholder must sell/ buy.
  • The eventual purchase price is not guaranteed at the outset.
  • Costs: even if he withdraws, the leaseholder is liable for the freeholder’s costs, surveyor’s fees and legal costs.
  • The deposit is non-refundable.


In order to exercise the statutory right to buy the freehold under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967, there are three main criteria that must be satisfied:

a) The building must be a ‘house’

House” in this case is widely defined, to include a building designed or adapted for living in (even if it is not detached). However, there must be no material over- or under-hang with an adjoining building (which would suggest that the property is a flat), and it must not be a building used for commercial purposes.

Mixed use buildings

In a mixed-use building (for example a building comprising a shop with a flat above), a tenant can only buy the freehold if:

  • the tenancy was granted for a term of more than 35 years; and
  • the house was occupied as his/her only or main residence for two years or periods amounting in aggregate to two years in the preceding ten years.

b) The lease must qualify

The lease must comprise the whole of the house and it must be a long lease of more than 21 years. A shared ownership lease will qualify where the tenant owns 100%. The lease must not be an “excluded” tenancy (i.e. a house in a designated protected area where the freehold has been owned with adjoining land occupied for commercial purposes and the lease was granted for a term of 35 years or less).

c) The tenant must qualify

The tenant must be a registered owner at Land Registry for more than 2 years.


The right to buy or extend the lease applies to any appurtenances (within the curtilage of the house), garage, outhouse, garden or yard which are let to the tenant and which satisfy the “qualifying condition”.

The “qualifying condition” is that, at the date on which the tenant serves the notice of claim, the ancillary premises must be let to the tenant with the house (by the same landlord.

The premises must have been let as part of the same transaction as the original lease or by way of subsequent addition to the original lease (such as the grant of a supplemental lease for the residue of the original term).

The ancillary premises lease must also be a long lease of more than 21 years.


A purchase price is paid by the tenant to the landlord (and any intermediate landlords) to acquire the freehold.

The purchase price is based on the value of the freehold as at the date of service of the notice of the tenant’s claim. There are two main approaches to establishing the purchase price: (1) the original valuation basis; and (2) the special valuation basis.

Under both bases it is assumed that the sale is taking place in an open market between a willing seller and a willing buyer. Section 9 of the LRA 1967 sets out the specific assumptions which apply in assessing the open market value in differing circumstances.

Section 9(1):

If the house qualified pre- 1993 (i.e. because it was not necessary to rely on amendments to the financial limits and/or low rent conditions made by any of the 1993, 1996, or 2002 Acts) and had a rateable value of less than £1,000 (or £500 outside the Greater London area) on 31 March 1990.

This excludes “marriage” value (see below). The valuation is a proportion of the value of the land.

Section 9(1A):

If the house qualified pre- 1993 but did not have a rateable value of less than £1,000 (or £500 outside the Greater London area) on 31 March 1990.

The valuation elements here are:

  • the capitalised value of the landlord’s ground rent and the value of his reversion (i.e. the current value of vacant possession of the freehold deferred for the unexpired lease term); and
  • 50% of the “marriage” value (the additional value obtained by the tenant’s ability to merge the freehold and leasehold interests) must be paid to the landlord, although the marriage value will be deemed to be nil if the lease has an unexpired term of more than 80 years as at the date of the claim.

Section 9(1C):

If the house qualifies post- 1993 (i.e. the claimant must rely on amendments made to the financial limits and/or low rent conditions made by any of the 1993, 1996 or 2002 Acts).

This is broadly the same as a Section 9(1A) valuation except that the freeholder can be compensated for loss in value of other property owned by him (including development value) as a consequence of the severance   of   the house.

We recommend that you obtain specialist valuation advice to calculate the price (and we can assist you with this). Be aware of online calculators as they can be misleading.

The freeholder will usually instruct his/her own valuer as well, and usually you will be liable to pay the cost of both valuers.


A Section 5 Notice of Claim is prepared – This is a prescribed form and must state specific information.

The Notice of Claim must be served on the freeholder, any intermediate landlords, and any party that has an interest in the property superior to tenant’s own. The notice of tenant’s claim must be served in accordance with section 23(1) of the LTA 1927 in order to be valid.

The effect of Serving the Notice is that:

  1. It creates a statutory contract between the landlord and the tenant which renders the tenant bound to buy the freehold or to take a new lease and the landlord bound to sell the freehold or grant a new lease.
  2. The existing lease continues automatically until the expiry of a period of three months after the end of the “currency of the claim”.

The landlords can serve a notice requiring the tenant to provide the following within 21 days: payment of a non-refundable deposit of either £25 or 3x the ground rent (whichever is greater); deduction of title; and a statutory declaration in relation to the residency test.

The landlord may require an undertaking for its costs, valuation fees and solicitor’s fees, as the tenant is liable to pay within 2 months of the Notice of Claim, the landlord must serve a counter notice either admitting or denying he claim.

If the claim is admitted or the landlord fails to reply, the tenant can serve a notice requiring the landlord to deuce title within 4 weeks.

Each of the landlord and the tenant can serve a notice on the other stating any rights of way and restrictive covenants they require in the transfer, and the notice must include details of any matters they wish themselves to include. Each party has 4 weeks to respond.

If the claim is not admitted then the tenant must decide if he wishes to dispute the rejection through the courts.

There are no strict time limits to negotiate the price and terms of the conveyance.

Once the terms of the conveyance and the purchase price have been agreed (or determined by the Tribunal or County Court), the matter reverts to a conveyancing transaction and proceeds to completion.


Absent Freeholders

If the freeholder fails to serve a counter notice, or to respond at all, or is absent, an application can be made to the County Court for a ‘Declaration’ or ‘Vesting Order’.

The County Court has the jurisdiction to make an order on such terms as it thinks fit provided it is satisfied that the tenant is eligible to buy the freehold. The purchase price is paid into Court and the tenant must also pay the costs of the application.

First Tier Tribunal

The First-Tier Property Tribunal has jurisdiction to determine the purchase price, rent payable, costs and terms of the conveyance, with a right of appeal to the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber). There is no deadline for applying to the Tribunal but it is not possible to apply before the earlier of the following:

  • The landlord advising the tenant of the purchase price it proposes; and
  • Two months after service of the notice of the tenant’s claim in circumstances where the landlord has not advised the tenant of the purchase price.


Land Registry Notice

The Notice of Claim is registrable as a notice or land charge at the Land Registry.

Transferring Right to Buy

If you are in the process of selling the leasehold, the benefit of the Notice of Claim can be transferred to the buyer.  The lease and the notice must be assigned together.

Personal Representatives

The Personal Representatives of a deceased tenant can make a claim provided that the right is exercised within a period of two years from the date of the grant of probate.


The tenant has the right to withdraw his/her notice of claim to buy at any time up to one month following the ascertainment of the purchase price by giving written notice.

Thereafter the tenant is bound to complete in accordance with the statutory contract. Service of notice not to proceed has the following consequences:

  • The notice of tenant’s claim is no longer of any effect.
  • The tenant must compensate the landlord if the notice of tenant’s claim interfered with the landlord’s ability to deal with the house and premises or any adjoining property and caused the landlord any loss.
  • The tenant may not serve a further notice of tenant’s claim to buy the freehold for 12 months, although the tenant may serve a notice to acquire an extended lease within this period.
  • The tenant remains responsible for paying the landlord’s costs.


Many organisations profess to be experts in this complex are of law, however legal advice should be sought from a qualified firm of solicitors who are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Monarch Solicitors are also accredited with the Law Society’s Conveyancing Quality Scheme and are accredited members of ALEP – The Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners.

What our clients say about us:

“I have been greatly impressed with the speed and accuracy of the legal work undertaken on my behalf by this firm.

Nothing has been too much trouble and they have taken the time and made the effort to explain fully every step of the process I was going through with them.

The staff are polite, effective, and highly professional individuals and I would not dream of going anywhere else for legal advice.

I fully recommend their services!”

Mr M. Moran, Cheshire


  1. Obtain freedom from your Freeholder. The lease usually contains restrictive covenants prohibiting various actions on the property. If you breach a covenant you could face a legal action from the freeholder and your lease could potentially be terminated. Alternatively, you could seek the freeholder’s consent at a cost.
  2. Avoid a takeover by professional freeholder owners. Developers usually sell the freehold to a private company on the open market after they have completed a site. The new owner will aim to make a profit from their investment in any way possible.
  3. Increase your property’s marketability. Most lenders will not lend against a short lease because of the risk they face in recovering their security. This limits the number of potential buyers and most potential buyers will be reluctant to have to spend additional monies on the property either to extend the lease or to purchase the freehold.
  4. Add value to your freehold. If your property has a short lease or onerous ground rent payments it is most likely to be valued at a lower price to freeholds on the same estate.

Article written by Shazda Ahmed, Managing Partner at Monarch Solicitors.

To discuss any aspect of the freehold purchase & lease extension process or a consideration of the ‘house or flat’ question considered above, feel free to contact ours specialist lease extension and freehold purchase solicitor in Manchester on 0161 820 8888 or solicitor in London on 0208 889 8888 and speak to one of our experienced members in the Leasehold Team.
We will happily provide a free 30-minute consultation on your matter. Give us a call today!
0161 820 8888 for a lease solicitor in Manchester or 0208 889 8888 for a lease solicitor in London
Alternatively, let us call you back by filling in our online enquiry form here.


For more information see our guides on:
– Leasehold Enfranchisement & Freehold Purchases (OR DOWNLOAD OUR FREE BROCHURE HERE)
– Collective Enfranchisement (Flats)
– Professional Negligence – Leasehold Property
– Right to Manage & Appointment of Manager
– Service Charge & Breach of Covenant Disputes
– Freeholders, Landlords and Management Companies
We are the best solicitors in Manchester and London, so please get in touch if you require legal advice with buying a leasehold, lease extensions and leasehold enfranchisement or freehold purchases. Our Award-winning team that provides a personal and selfless service.

  • Independently verified 5-star rating from numerous clients.
  • Fixed fees wherever possible to avoid large unexpected
  • Expert property, litigation and corporate services  
  • Manchester based Head Office, serving clients nationwide.
Contact our Manchester Solicitors on 0161 820 8888 or London Solicitors on 0208 889 8888 for a free no obligation half hour consultation.



Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Contact Us Today

Accredited by
Members of

Contact Us

If you need legal advice, call our expert solicitors or fill in our enquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Request a call back

Please provide us with your details and we will call you back.

Free Case Evaluation

Get Legal Advice today